Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The true meaning of Gynecologists:

Around Christmas 2005 I paid a routine visit to my OB/GYN, Dr. Junnila at Park Nicollet/Carlson...I was pregnant with Grant at the time so I got out of the all too uncomfortable downstairs exam. I was there to listen to the baby's heart, step on the scale and get my belly measured. As per usual Dr. Junnila and I talked about all things unrelated to women's health; politics, weather, the kids, the dogs, his latest travel adventures (he's always tan)...etc. This particular visit he asked me what my favorite Christmas movie was. That was easy, One Magic Christmas and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation of course. He said he loved One Magic Christmas as well....we talked a bit about the film as he was probably the only person I knew that actually knew about or liked that sappy movie. I shared my disappointment that my only copy was VHS and I had watched it so many times the tape was worn out and I couldn't share it with my kids. Dr. J said that his son could maybe get me a copy on DVD, that he was 'young and into all that technology stuff.' That Christmas passed, as did Christmas 2006 and 2007. Here we are, three years later and in today's mail was an envelope addressed to me, with no return address and no postage. Inside was a homemade DVD labeled 'One Magic Christmas' and a post-it note that read "Merry Christmas from Santa." Three years later, Dr. Junnila took the time to not only think of me, but to drive to my house and prove to me that there really are a few good people left in this world....even if they are the same people that look at your cervix one a year.

No comments: